“If a doula were a drug, it would be malpractice not to use it.”
- Dr. John Kennell, Pediatrician
Evidence shows that the continuous presence and support from a Doula during labor and birth contributes to:
- increased mobility
- fewer complications and interventions
- shorter labors
- increased rates of vaginal birth
- better infant outcomes
- decreased pain and anxiety
- increased satisfaction with the birth process
- decreased rates of postpartum depression
There are many ways to find and hire a Doula. One wonderful new resources for locating a Doula near you, reading about their training, experience, and testimonials, is Doula Match, an online search-able database of Doulas. Locally, I love an organization called Chicago Volunteer Doulas, and I know there are similar organizations providing Doula services free of charge and on a sliding scale, across the United States.
Does anyone want to share a birth story that includes a Doula?